On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 11:31:19 +0100, Alain Benvéniste wrote:
>Yes of course, and you put me on the way to test with a strip trailing
>and it works !

As long as your original file doesn't happen to contain any blanks that
happen to fall on the last byte of a blocked record!

I'm still mystified by the difference you see after sending the file over
RSCS.  Is the last record short on the original system, and padded with
blanks when it's copied by RSCS?  x4040 would be taken as the length of
the next file record, explaining why it can't find the end.

The notes for BLOCK CMS include this instruction:  "use pad to pad the
last block with zeros as it is in the file system."  So this should give
you a valid file:

  "pipe strliteral /abc/ ! block 80 cms ! pad 80 00 ! punch"

¬R