Madhu <enom...@meer.net> wrote:

> * Raymond Toy <sxd1vwg0znv....@rtp.ericsson.se> :

> |     dvl> But doing so by making (setf (slot-value))'s behavior
> |     dvl> different (shall I say inconsistent?) depending on the
> |     dvl> context feels somewhat weird to
> |
> |     Raymond> Yes, I think it's inconsistent.
> |
> |     dvl> me. I guess you concern is performance here; but then, we can
> |     dvl> play with the optimize declaration.
>
> The other concern was compatibility with other lisps which do not signal
> an error when the type declaration is wrong.

  Well, SBCL at least does, with (speed 0) and (safety 3).

> This particular typecheck is not mandated by any spec, and lisps tend
> to let it pass.

  Yup. ACL doesn't perform any kind of typechecking whatsoever.

> | Perhaps not the best solution, but I have made an internal change so
> | that pcl::*use-slot-type-p* will be honored (at runtime). Hence,
> | type checking will be done accordingly.
>
> Thanks, I have no problems setting pcl::*use-slot-types-p* when
> compiling code with incorrect typespecs but thinking out aloud [on
> behalf of the devil] perhaps the default behaviour should be a warning

  Why would you prefer it to be a warning [on behalf of the angel ;-)] ?

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Scientific site:   http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com

EPITA/LRDE, 14-16 rue Voltaire, 94276 Le Kremlin-BicĂȘtre, France
Tel. +33 (0)1 44 08 01 85       Fax. +33 (0)1 53 14 59 22