particular system. A second thermostat would be unusual.

Rich
(mobile)

On 2012-08-24, at 9:25, dwight veinot <dwightvei...@hfx.eastlink.ca> wrote:

Rich

The hot water on my boat is also heated by the engine coolant, which passes
through a coil in the hot water tank.

I have installed a manual valve in the coolant line from the engine to the
salt water heat exchanger.

I can adjust that valve to control the flow of coolant to the hot water
tank, mostly I leave it full open to the heat exchanger but when I want
faster hot water I adjust it to force more coolant through the heater and
less through the engines salt water cooled heat exchanger.

I was not aware that a thermostat controlled engine coolant flow to the hot
water tank but maybe my boat has such a setup which was not functioning when
I first got the boat.  I did not produce much hot water in the tank by
running the engine until I installed that manual valve which allowed me to
divert more engine coolant to the coil in the hot water tank.

Maybe I had a malfunctioning thermostat in the line but it I did not see
one.  Based on your advice to Greg, I'll look harder now because that would
be preferable to using the manual valve.

Is the thermostat that would control this usually found on the engine or the
hot water tank?

Thanks

Dwight Veinot
C&C 35 MKII, Alianna