Hi,

A loop is a good idea, a vented loop even better, but a cost effective solution
would be to install a simple check valve.  If it is installed down near an
automatic pump, then you have the added benefit of the valve keeping the hose
water from filling back into the bilge after the pump shuts off.

I have also seen boats which use only one hose for both electric bilge pumps
and deck mounted hand bilge pumps (like the Whale Gusher 10).   That is, the
electric bilge pump hose is routed to the hand pump and then out .  This set up
is nice as the hand pump acts like a check valve allowing water to flow only
out, and it uses only one through hole.

-
Paul E.
s/v Johanna Rose