There is a chance that CMC will help you. Ask to speak to Joey. He has lots of
used stuff lying around.

Rich

On 2012-09-12, at 10:52, Tortuga <tortugas...@gmail.com> wrote:

During our last sail, the wheel drive for the Autohelm ST4000 on our 1979 30
mk1 stopped engaging. When I moved the drive lever into the engage position it
seemed to not catch, although it stayed in position. The unit was clicking away
but the wheel was not engaged.

I put a note on the Raymarine tech forum, asking whether I should take the
wheel drive apart. I received a reply, asking “What color is the wheel drive,
Black or Gray?” I replied that I thought it was black faded to dark gray.

I received another reply, "There is no adjustment on black wheel drives, and
unfortunately no parts available any longer as well.  Sometimes with those
symptoms, changing the belt might help, again there are no parts available but
there is a company…"

I took the wheel drive apart and found that the cam mechanism was rotating on
the shaft connecting it to the drive lever Once there were 2 pins which passed
through the cam and the shaft to prevent the cam from free-rotating. They had
been worn down or snapped off. The remains were still lodged in the shaft.

As a temporary fix, I cut 2 thin brads to length and shoved them through the
cam and shaft, then placed them both back into the drive wheel assembly, jammed
the wheel drive back together and put the drive lever back on.

I haven’t had a chance yet to try it out because of the winds and rain from
Leslie.

I have contacted CMC Electronics to ask about a replacement drive eccentric
assembly. I was told someone there will call me back.

My apologies if this has been discussed too many times before. Is it a common
problem? What are my chances of finding a replacement assembly?

Thanks

Derek Kennedy

C&C 30 mk 1

Ballantyne's Cove, NS