Thanks!  I've got the radio.  Never heard of the wax rings.  I'll get some.

BTW, rigged a webcam and old laptop as a no cost bilge monitor.

Joel
Sent from my iPad

On Dec 2, 2012, at 9:25 PM, "Dennis C." <capt...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Joel,

Just my opinion but first, most of your boat isn't 3 feet below the
waterline.  Second, the hole probably won't be a full 2 inches open but a
jagged splintered opening.  Third, go buy 3 or 4 toilet bowl wax rings and
throw them on the boat.  They'll plug a lot of oddly shaped holes.  Wad
them up and jam them in the hole, smash them in really good.

Third, slowing down the flow of a hole isn't terribly difficult.  Place a
life jacket, pillow or whatever is handy over the hole and brace it with
more "stuff".  Maybe keep an inflatable dinghy flotation bag on board to
press the seal against the hull.  Spend some time thinking about how you
would patch a hole here or there or over there.  Many of us Navy vets went
through damage control training.  The training was real.  We were placed in
a training mock up where water poured in through various holes of different
shapes and locations.  You'd be surprised at how quickly you get creative
when you're getting inundated with hundreds (not 69).  :)

If you can't slow the flow down substantially, a larger bilge pump isn't
going to save you.  Put your boat bucks in a good DSC distress capable VHF
radio.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA