The rudder on my new (to me) '88 30MKII is very hard to turn.  It's not the
steering, I have removed the cables and the wheel turns freely.  I'm pretty
confident it's the rudder binding.

When shopping, I had a deposit on another 30 MKII and it had the same
problem.  The yard fixed it but never elaborated on exactly what it was.  I
do know that it did not involve removing the rudder and that the broker
eluded to the fact that something at the top of the shaft was cleaned and
greased.  I did inspect the boat again and they did fix it.

I did try greasing it via the zirk fitting but that did not seem to help.
 It does not appear that the post is bent.

I'm hoping someone else will have had this problem in the past and can give
me some guidance before I start taking things apart.  I'm really hoping not
to have to remove the rudder.

Thanks
Rob Gallagher
'88 C&C 30 MKII