did a match race series up there a looong time ago in J22s. Fun spot, great
people. thermals fill in like clock work. very puffy.

I recall we got waxed by some guys out of new orleans. Good times.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dennis C." <capt...@yahoo.com>
To: "Cn Clist" <CnC-List@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 3, 2013 2:25:29 PM
Subject: Stus-List Mountain sailing

I was driving across Lake Dillon Dam (Colorado) this morning looking at the
completely frozen lake. In front of the dam was a line of orange drums to keep
stray boaters away from the hydroelectric plant topworks. Near the end of the
drums was a point with a buoy sitting on top fully 15 feet above the water
(ice) level. The lake is currently down 20-25 feet.

I've heard interesting tales about sailing and racing on Lake Dillon and other
mountain lakes. Strong gusts coming out of valleys and dead spots behind
points, etc. Gotta be on your toes if you're drifting along with a chute and
sail into one of those gusts. :o Whole different kind of sailing than what I'm
used to.

Lake Dillon is home to the Dillon Yacht Club, the nation's highest at 9017 feet
(http://www.dillonyachtclub.com/). Club has never been open when I'm here
during the winter. All the boats are, of course, hauled out for the winter.

Dennis