Hi Ed,
I have a 1973, hull # 128, with the roller furling boom (converted to slab
reefing). On mine, the outhaul is adjusted trough a very neat and powerful
system.
The sail cleat is attached to a car running on the boom. Behind the car there
is a sort wire attached to a second car running inside the aft end of the boom
on a twelve inch long screw connected to a small handle crank a the end of the
boom. Two caveats about this system: it makes the boom longer than needed (but
since the sheet is at the boom end and at the back of the cockpit it doesn't
matter that much) and, you have to bring back the boom over the cockpit if you
want to adjust when sailing downwind. I don't know if this system was already
in place for your boat. I might also have been removed, especially if the boat
experienced salt water. The mix of a stainless screw and aluminum supports
tends to corrode and jam hard if it's not regularly maintained and greased. By
the way, is your boom still at the original 5'6" height?, You may consider
moving it up for safety and comfort. Mine was. Of course, it means changing the
main.

Fair winds
Antoine (C&C 30 Cousin)