Why wouldn't they just drop a hook and take people off in tenders?  I
imagine by the time the ship gets to the channel entrance, the passengers
will be ready to jump overboard, especially if they're in a 400 foot
channel and can see the shore on both sides.

I guess it might be difficult to handle luggage on the tenders, but you'd
think Carnival could figure out a way to handle that.

(Actually. Check that.  Those clowns can't even drive a boat.  I wouldn't
trust them to take my RIB ashore.)

Cheers,
Colin