I have open ended traveler car control lines that go through turning blocks
to cam cleats on the bulkhead directly above the traveler.  That is a
reasonable compromise for the way I sail the boat because actually I do very
little traveler adjusting under sail.  I find that the boat works quite well
with the car centered and sheet just about close hauled with the 2 upper
tell tales streaming straight back when sailing upwind.I do however drop the
traveler car to leeward in prolonged wind above about 17 apparent which is
also when the clew outhaul, Cunningham and mainsheet get tensioned to
flatten the main.  Using that up to 21 apparent is reasonably fast and
comfortable and a furled headsail is a benefit.

I know some owners have used turning blocks to bring the traveler controls
further aft to the helm.maybe that would be convenient.IMHO the Harken
windward sheeting traveler is the best

Dwight Veinot

C&C 35 MKII, Alianna

Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS