Dear C&C seeker,
Newer C&C designs (before 1996) are faster just because they kept improving
their designs. This proves out by PHRF ratings. But newer costs more.

Deep keels point better than centerboarders and are thousands of pounds lighter
so they excel in lighter winds too. But in open water races, chop can stop a
light boat while heavier boats maintain momentum through the rough stuff.
Experienced boat handling pays huge dividends in sloppy seas and marginal
winds. Stronger winds favor the 1990 37/40R a fast racer, or the 37/40+ and
37/40XL fast racer/cruiser version with a queen sized bed. Centerboards are
great for the Bahamas, but I'd like the deepest, keel I can get for the BVI's.

We have a fast boat, a C&C 34/36R and we race and usually finish first in our
local offshore races. A fast boat requires you lead to every mark (scary to me
when learning to race) when my experience was crewing on a slower boat and
following the fleet. Leading means finding every mark and calculating the right
laylines. A fast boat also requires you beat the slower boats with lower
ratings, by time allowance, often minutes. In many races we corrected to 2nd
place when we finish before a certain J-28 by less than 5 minutes in a 60
minute race. Winning at PHRF depends a great deal on hull preparation,
condition of sails, skipper's boat handling skills, race management, tactics,
and crew work. Beating the "friend who is winning everything" may take a lot
more than getting the fastest boat. The entire fleet is trying to do that.
Getting a boat designed to race like a C&C, with all the bells and whistles
like oversized winches, adjustable genoa cars, and robust spinnaker gear, good
underwater foils, and good sails will all help you and your crew improve skills
to get closer to the front of the fleet. A fast boat will have you in clear air
and leading while you are learning .
But it may take a while to beat experienced skippers and crews.
BTW, we are all learning, that's the fun of it, and the reason I race.

Good luch with your quest,

Chuck
Resolute
1990 C&C 34R