Switches.  I was going to add a dimmer, but have changed my mind.

Graham Collins
Secret Plans
C&C 35-III #11

On 2013-04-05 10:00 AM, Joel Aronson wrote:
Are people adding in-line switches to the LED strips or just switching them at the breaker?

Joel
35/3
The Office
Annapolis

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 8:45 AM, Michael Brown <m...@tkg.ca <mailto:m...@tkg.ca>> wrote:

    The white 3528 strips work well, good light output and low power.
    I have them glued and tie wrapped to a strip of high density foam
    board ( about 1/2" wide and 1/4" thick ) that is then screwed in
    place. The plastic cover on the strip proved a bit difficult to glue.

    Most of the strips have a power rating per meter, the ones I have
    are < 4.8 Watts / meter. They are also rated for 12V, but your boat
    may have 13.2 to 14.2 volts depending on you charging system. The
    LED are fairly sensitive to voltage and could be over driven.

    Add a constant current driver, a LED dimmer (also available on eBay)
    or a resistor in series. If you expect the highest voltage you will
    have on the boat will be 14.5v, then the resistor will need to drop
    2.5v at rated current.

    The strips I used where a bit under 2/3 of a meter, used about 3.2W
    at 12v so required 0.250 amps of current.

    To drop 2.5v at 0.250 amps you need a 10 ohm resistor
     ( Resistance in ohms = Volts / Amps ).
    The resistor will need to be rated for 0.625 watts so I used a
    1 watt resistor ( about $0.20 from Sayal ).
     ( Power in Watts  = Amps squared * Resistance )

    Adding the resistor will dim the LEDs slightly at 12V.

    For longer strips where the power to the resistor > 1 watt or
    were you want the best lighting power a constant current source
    is much better. Simple ones are only four components and cost
    less than $10 in parts. The dimmers from China are only $8!

    http://madscientisthut.com/wordpress/tag/led-current-control/

    Mike
    C&C 30
    Windburn

    > Hi All.
    >
    > I just volunteered my boat for a test case using these LED strip
    lights that are available on ebay cheap out of china. I haven't
    seen them used on boats before. They are marketed as being
    waterproof. There are a few variations on the LED types with the
    two most common being "SMD 5050" and "SMD 3528". The 5050 have
    triple LEDs so they can be made into any colour, they are also
    brighter because of the triple LED and consume more. The 3528,
    which I ordered, are smaller, single cell LEDs and consume less
    (why I chose them). Both varieties come in 5 meter lengths for
    about $20. The 3528 strip that I ordered has 600 LEDs on it! They
    can be cut to size. I purchased these to provide accent lighting
    in the cabin. They should be bright enough to be used as a primary
    light source for hanging out but not for reading (not the way I'm
    installing them, anyway).

    > For the accent lighting I'll be installing them behind the teak
    trim on both sides of the boat just under the cabinets on either
    side. They should be hidden from view in there and I will likely
    aim them UP into that void rather than down, I'm a big fan of
    diffused lighting. I ordered the "natural white 4500k" LEDs. What
    I'm hoping to accomplish is a nice subdued ambient light in the
    cabin. I might even try a dimmer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310638125425&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:CA:3160

    > For $20 I figure it's worth the gamble. They are 12V DC so
    should be a snap to install.
    > I've got other ideas too. I'll see how this first strip works
    out and I'm curious to see what the real world power consumption is.

    CnC-List@cnc-list.com <mailto:CnC-List@cnc-list.com>

--
Joel
301 541 8551