From: OldSteveH <oldste...@sympatico.ca>
To: <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Race Video (Wally Bryant)
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 12:54:54 -0400

This has been a really good thread, highlighting the risks of casual racing.
There are some good lessons and solid reminders of the situation we're in
when we do these casual races.

I started racing again last year after many years away from it.
That made me an experienced but rusty racer, and what's worse, racing
amongst folks with a wide variation in experience and acumen.
For example on one race I starboarded two boats just after the start,
completely in the right, but now realizing in hindsight completely ignorant
of the abilities of those skippers and whether they would respond. Although
there was no problem at the time, I won't do that again. Years ago we raced
against the same competitors week after week and everyone knew everyone
else. The crews were generally the same from week to week, even from year to
year. It produced very close and well run races. I now realize I cannot
expect this beer can stuff to be the same.

I have to say a couple things about the video. It does not appear the
leeward boat called out in any way. Should they have called "hardening up"
to the windward boat? They did not give any warning of their movements. It
didn't look to me like Blue was barging, they were on a close reach. Blues
crew were indeed clueless, as was the helmsperson, but the tactician also
made mistakes. He appeared to see the other boat but did not do or say
enough until it was too late. I think he acknowledged this in his post. No
question about windward leeward rule though, Blue was in the wrong but also
agree leeward boat seemed to do nothing to avoid the collision.

Cheers,

Steve Hood
S/V Diamond Girl
C&C 34