Curtis,

A couple of random thoughts - your boat will naturally swing either to port
or starboard when backing depending on which way the prop rotates.  You
need to figure that out as the first order of business.  Find some flat
open water, center the wheel and back down hard for several boat lengths.
 You'll see what I mean.  Once you know that you can decide whether to go
in bow first or stern first.  Its hard to fight the "prop walk".  My boat
backs to port, so I go in bow first rather than try to swing the stern to
starboard if I am unsure.

The slower you go, the less damage you will do if you F up.

If the dock is not well padded, have bumpers hanging as you approach.  Have
boathooks at the bow and stern.

Identify the critical line(s) you need to get as you enter the slip.  Its
usually the upwind outboard line.  Instruct your crew to grab that first.

With an 8 foot tide you need long spring lines and should cross your stern
lines.

Practice!

Good luck!

Joel