Curtis,

Like others have suggested, go out in open water and practice.  Maybe use a
couple of milk jugs with bricks for anchors to simulate the entrance to your
slip.

You first need to understand the differences in and effects of "prop walk",
"prop wash" and rudder action.

Prop walk is a sideways motion created by the rotation of the prop.  You will
only notice it at very low speed.  As soon as there is any speed, prop walk is
overcome by rudder action.

Prop wash is the action of the rudder as the water expelled by the prop passes
across the rudder.  It only occurs when th engine is in forward.

Rudder action is the effect the rudder has on boat direction.  Rudder action
only occurs when water is passing across the rudder either from the motion of
the boat, forward or reverse, or prop wash (forward only).

If your boat has a "standard" right hand rotation, prop walk will cause the
stern to pull to port at very low speed.  If you practice, you will find prop
walk to be a handy way to maneuver a boat.

As you approach your slip, it is important to note the wind and current.  A
cross wind will affect the bow more than the stern.  Current will affect the
entire boat.  If as you indicate, your entry into your slip is downwind, you
will need to secure a spring line first and quickly or use the engine to stop
the boat and grab the bow line to keep the bow from falling off towards your
finger pier or your neighbor.

You'll need to maintain speed as you back in so the rudder will work.  You
didn't tell us your initial approach was from starboard or from port.  Port is
easier.

For instance, when I back into my slip, I use a port side approach.  That is,
the slip is on the port side as I approach.  I approach with 2-3 knots of speed
about 1/2 boat length away from the pilings.  When the mast is even with the
near side (start) of my slip, I turn the wheel to starboard and put the engine
in reverse.  The stern swings to port, the prop WALK will also draws the stern
to port as the boat loses forward speed.  The prop WALK pulls the stern into
the slip.  As the boat gathers speed in reverse, I then use rudder action to
guide the boat into the slip.  BTW, I have a Martec 2 blade folding prop.  A
prop not know for its reversing ability but it works fine for me.

Now, if you have a starboard side approach and standard rotation, things will
be more complicated.  The prop WALK will pull your stern away from your slip.
You will have to go past your slip a ways at least a boat length away from the
pilings then stop, put it in reverse and gather speed so the rudder action
overcomes the prop WALK in order to guide the boat into your slip.

A final note on prop walk and prop wash.  One can use prop walk and prop wash
to turn in tight spots.  Assuming a right hand rotation and prop walk pulling
to port, turn the wheel hard to starboard.  Alternating between forward and
reverse, prop wash and prop walk can spin the boat on its keel with little
forward or aft motion.  Handy technique to know if you end up in a tight
fairway in a marina and need to do a U-turn.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA