I've noticed lately some of the newer lines, possibly T-900, etc. may be more
prone to slippage in clutches and self tailers when new.  After some use, they
begin to hold a bit better.  One might consider throwing new lines in a
commercial washing machine to give them some "experience".

Might want to ask your local rigger or cordage vendor about this issue.

Dennis C.

Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA

>________________________________

rope for jib halyards after too many cover failures from slipping in the
Spinlock clutches.

>So if you go the high strength fibre route you might need to factor in
the cost of better clutches, such as Lewmar.

>         Cheers,
Russ
>        Sweet, 35 mk-1
>

>At 04:05 PM 20/07/2013, you wrote:
>

>>Group:
>>
>>I am considering replacing my 7/16” “low stretch” (NER) halyards for both
main and Jib with something that is “no stretch”…………….

>>We raced last Wednesday in 22-25kts and both the Main and Jib stretched
so as to make the jib trim really edgy.  The Cunningham made up the
difference in the main, but we finally broke the jib shackle and had to
route a spare in a hurry…………….

>>We recovered OK, but I think better halyards are in order.
>>
>>The big problem is the “sticker shock” for Dyneema or similar
material……..  two halyards using Dyneema SK90 estimated cost is near
$1000.

>>Has anyone faced this issue and how did you resolve it.  Anyone have
any suggestions on “reasonable priced” high tech line?