Sam's explanation is the correct one.

The Cunningham doesn't flatten the lower third of the mainsail. Tensioning the
cunningham moves the draft forward in increasing wind conditions. How you run
it is up to you. On my boat it's tied to a padeye on the port side of the mast,
runs through the cringle on the main, down to a block at the base of the mast,
through a turning block, then through a rope clutch on the top of the
companionway near the cockpit. This gives me a two to one purchase, which in
light conditions can be controlled by hand. In heavier air, a winch is used.

Alan Bergen
C&C 35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC
Portland, OR