Rich,

Check out the pictures I took of my rig.  I knew this area to be a weakness
of the 37+ because I had almost bought Blue Pearl a 1990 37+.  The port
side U-bolt looked to have previously pulled nearly completely out.  The
surveyor almost missed it since it had been partially repaired.

I was quite keen during the survey of Sea Hawk to ensure that the areas
were secure.  The PO of Sea Hawk had attempted to reinforce with thick
fiberglass matte that extended 2+ feet down the transom and hull.  But,
after multiple THICK layers was still unable to prevent the bulging in the
transom that he had witnessed while under sail.  He engineered this bar
such that it provides support perpendicular to the transom and the force of
the back stay.  Ultimately it creates a triangle between the transom and
the lazaret bulkhead.  I still think there are some additional things that
could be done but for now it seems to have stopped problem.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8pEh5lnvP1ybDFIZ0ZZTU1XdHM&usp=sharing

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+