From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of BRUCE
BOLTON
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2013 11:44 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Stus-List LInk monitor and solar panel issue

I just installed two 100 watt Arenco panels through an MPPT controller ...
and it works very well, very happy with the output. I've got 320 amp hour
AGM house battery bank and a 120 amp hour starting battery connected through
a battery isolator switch (can keep them seperate or connect them into one
big bank). Link 20 monitor function for solar panels has been switch "on".

The issue: I connected the controller output to the starting battery
(because of the size of the terminals on that battery), keept the battery
isolator switch in the "connect everything together" position and what
happens is the house bank shows charging via the solar panels, but the
starting always shows a discharge.  I don't know why ...  On a recent trip
of a week without shore power the solar panels almost keept up with demand
(fridge/freezer on all the time) maybe a minus 50 amps at the end of the
trip on the house bank, while the starting battery showed a minus 500 amps
at the end of the trip!

I believe that this is simply a link monitor issue and that this is
(obviously) not reality.  Any Ideas on what can be done to get the link
indicating correctly would be appreciated. Perhaps when the battery banks
are not isolated the link then reads this as one bank only, and the starting
one is just recording the amount of power pulled from the bank over time ...

Thanks for any feedback!

Bruce Bolton
C&C35III
Apple Tree