Easy for me to say because I am a relatively new sailor but I agree with Rich and would sail it back if it were me. It probably is the most cost effective way.

Having said that, when I just purchased my 26 this summer I hauled it back my self from Manitoba to Alberta, a distance of 1500 km or about 900 miles. I only had the choice of hauling myself or paying someone to do it. I do own my own truck so that helped shape my decision.

I did put it on U-ship and the prices I got were all over the map. I think being on the prairies didn't help as there really aren't people experienced with hauling boats, especially sailboats, in this neck of the woods. The boat did come with a cradle made by Marine cradle shop but even before I went to look at the boat I was nervous that the cradle wasn't really made to support the boat during travel. Sitting in a yard yes but not on top of a flat deck trailer. The price I was going to have to pay to get it shipped ranged about half to two thirds of the cost a brand new trailer. I still needed a trailer for moving in spring and fall as we can't keep our boats at the lake during the winter.

I decided to have a trailer made and do the job myself and I don't regret my decision at all. I don't think anyone I had the option to hire would have cared as much as me about the safety of the boat. The people who built the trailer had experience and made sure all the posts were where they needed to be for a C&C 26 and took the time to measure the boat before they started. I experienced no "oil canning" at all and the boat didn't budge. I also built wooden supports to hold the mast so that is wasn't resting on the bow pulpit or stern rails. I think some of the guys watching me thought I was going overboard but it paid off as I had no damage.

Long story short, I wasn't afraid to do it myself but I had the right trailer. I think shipping on a cradle is risky just because most are for yard use and can't support the load going down the highway. I would make sure any cradle under consideration for this purpose has at least 6 posts and perhaps a bow support too. My trailer does and it is extra insurance against sliding forward.

Regards,
David
C&C 26 Mistress