We have usually crossed in September, in everything from my Shark 24 to the
35, and it has never been really awful, and it has been mostly nice. I
second the suggestion to go via Porlier Pass, overnight in Clam Bay and
head out in the morning. Porlier is an easy ride and doesn't get the same
chop as Silva Bay, plus you don't have to dodge Thrasher Rock and a bunch
of reefs.
We have never had fog crossing Georgia Strait, but this seems a very foggy
year so you never know.

--
Jim Watts
Paradigm Shift