Marek,

First, Beneteau has 2 lines, the First series and the Oceanis series.  The
Oceanis series is very cruiser oriented.  As others have pointed out, they are
not exactly greyhounds of the seas.  The Beneteau Firsts are racer/cruisers.

Having worked on several Beneteaus, Catalinas and Hunters, I think I'd prefer
the Catalinas.  The Hunters are a distant third.  The Catalinas sail well, are
fairly quick and seem to be fairly well made.

We have traveled several times from Louisiana to Florida with some friends who
have a 2006 Catalina 309.  My 35-1 doesn't outsail it by much.  My friends
really like it.  He is a retired marine surveyor and former owner of Bristols,
Pearsons, and several other boats.  He speaks well of his 309.

If I recall correctly, at one time, Catalina had the highest upgrade rate in
the industry.  That is, Catalina owners that moved up from one Catalina to a
larger Catalina.  Hard to argue with that.

There are lots of other boats you might consider, Bavaria 32, Jeanneaus, Elans,
and even Island Packet.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA

engine in a fellow Club members Swan, but he found that a replacement for a
suspected faulty thermostat was not available in the USA!  Caused him to miss
the Club Cruise.