Hi gang,

I'm determined to buy an old C&C 38 or 35 primarily as a cruiser. I'm considering a 1977 C&C 38 Mark II in great shape. My biggest concern is whether the boat is too large and too tender for my wife and I to handle it cruising through inland waters of Washington state. It feels doable, especially with a smallish jib on the furler, the traveler/main sheet in the companionway and the main halyard routed to the cockpit.

But would the 35 be considerably easier to handle shorthanded? (Their cabintop tavelers seem awkward when shorthanded.) Or should I consider other old and affordable C&Cs like the 33, 34 or 36? I've cruised in heavy boats and raced in light boats. I'm looking for a fun affordable C&C compromise. I'd appreciate any input, especially from 38 owners or people who've had to make similar decisions.

Thanks a lot, Jim