Jim:  I second the notes from James Taylor and his 38MKII.  I have a 1977
38MKIIC (the C means that it was built in the Bruckman Shop of C&C) but I
agree that it is easily handled by two.  James mentioned raising the main a
potential problem and the first thing I did when I bought this boat in 1997
was to upgrade the mast with a Tides Marine "strong track".... That's a
delrin/nylon insert that slides in the current sail track and has bronze
slugs that slide in the new track's inside out "T" slot.  The main goes up
and down very easily, it's all very slippery and "ladies" can certainly
handle it.  You might have to do the final two turns on the winch to get the
tension right, but that solves the main up and down problem. And it was
short money compared to other improvements you can make.

If you're not going to race, this boat loves a medium 135 Genoa and a full
main......we use a light 155 and the blade for racing in other conditions,
but I'd pick the 38MKII over and over again....probably one of the prettiest
boats on the water even today.

And of course, photos are always available if you want to compare..... And
just to temper your expectations, we could always discuss things to look for
in and older boat..

Ron Casciato, Impromptu

C&C 38MKIIC '77 #125

Mass Bay.