I have the Raymarine ST 60 instrumnet package,which measure boatspeed,
apparent wind speed, apparent wind angle and true wind angle as well as
many other parameters unrelated to the calculation of VMG upwind

Check this page to see how VMG upwind is calculated from true wind angle
and boat speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_made_good