The rum ration was originally beer with a daily ration of 4.5 litres per sailor
until the 17th century. In 1655, rum replaced beer as the sailor's daily
alcohol ration because of the capture of Jamaica from Spain. This change was
made because beer would often spoil on long voyages. The ration of rum was half
a pint per day, and originally issued neat; sailors would "prove" its strength
by checking that gunpowder doused with rum would still burn (thus verifying
that rum was at least 57% ABV.)
Andy
C&C 40
Peregrine