Chuck,

>From what I have seen the "younger generation" that own cruising boats seem
to have income levels / life styles that allow / require them to pay the
yards for the work to be done.  Clearly this is not the 99%

However, I firmly believe that both Gary Jobson and Nick Hayes are spot on
when they proclaim that Clubs and Community Sailing Organisations (and I
paraphrase) must own the boats and make them available at reasonable cost
members etc.

I am a member of a small yacht club that is dedicated to sailing - no pool,
tennis courts, to distract us. Believe it or not , no bar either, though we
do now have a permit so we can set up temporary bars.

We as a club own 8 Ideal 18 keelboats. 6 Club 420's (used by our Jr Program
and local High Schools), 10 Optimists, 9 Dyer Dhows (for Frostbiting).  This
fleet of boats allows younger, and older folks to sail at a much lower cost
than ownership.

Jonathan Thomson

Indigo - 35Mk III

On the hard in Milford CT