Wally Bryant wrote:
Well, I still give them a whack, but with a light ball peen hammer, and then tighten them down really good.

It might not be as important with these 'CAMP' shaft zincs that I use these days. They have an imbedded rounded contact point inside each half of the zinc, to maintain a good contact with the shaft that won't corrode away. I got them from boatzincs.com. www.campcompany.com

Wal

you wrote:
I’ve seen several instructions that say not to smack them with a hammer. Who do we believe… I know you want a nice tight fit though.
I give them a whack with a hammer but I back up the other side with an 8# sledge to absorb the shock.
   Bill
Caprice 1