Mark;

You are probably close in your surmise that the rail meat is very close to
being directly over the center of mass of the boat when it reaches 63
degrees of heel. However, there is still a righting moment, though the
moment arm is getting short.

As it heels, the boat rotates around the center of buoyancy, not the center
of mass. The center of buoyancy is above the center of mass (the closer they
are when the mast is vertical, the more tender the boat. If the center of
mass were above the center of buoyancy, the boat would turn turtle at the
slightest provocation.) and the center of buoyancy moves to leeward as the
boat heels because of the form stability of the hull. In more modern hulls
than ours, with relatively flat bottoms and wide turn of the bilge carried
from max beam to well aft, generate a lot of form stability. Hence the
center of buoyancy moves quite a bit to leeward as the boat heels, while the
center of mass moves some amount to windward. It is the lateral offset
between centers of mass and buoyancy that provide resistance to heeling.

Paul;

I agree with your calculations, except that the length of the moment arms
for the rail meat and the weight aloft need to be adjusted slightly to
account for the leeward movement of the center of buoyancy. Add a few inches
to the righting arm of the rail meat, and subtract the same number of inches
from righting arm of the weight aloft. So at 20 degrees of heel, the 10
pounds aloft might have the same effect as 38 or 39 pounds on the rail.

Now I’ve not looked into purchasing any high tech halyards for my 38. What I
have (7/16 Cajun XLE) is large enough in diameter to have a good hand and to
not creep in the rope clutch. I have a Barient 27 halyard winch to preload
luff of the main to 500 pounds or so and take up the stretch in the line
when the wind is strong, and I really don’t want to put much more load than
that on the 3/16ths or ¼ inch Dacron cord that reinforces the luff of the
main. If I trim the vang and the traveler right the load on the main from a
gust of wind isn’t going to change by all that much to generate more than an
inch or two of additional, transitory stretch in the halyard.

But I have recently purchased floating, high tech spin sheets. They needed
to be about the same diameter as the old sheets in order to have acceptable
hand and work on the winch drums. My floating lines are way stronger than
they need to be, and consequently have no stretch (which, unfortunately, you
kind of want in spin sheets). What I found is that the high tech, floating
line was more than twice as strong as the old sheets, but only about 4
pounds lighter for 100 feet of line.

So the saving for my main halyard would be around 2 pounds. If I went from
7/16ths XLE double braid to 3/8ths Spectra core the strength doubles, the
stretch goes from 12 “ (@ 1300 pounds of load) to about 3”, the halyard
costs about $60 more, and the weight savings is about 3 pounds. The way I
sail, I don’t see that much value.

In my experience the racers who salivate over decreasing weight aloft tend
to be the same guys who have toothbrushes with the handle cut short, and who
leave the seat cushions, locker covers, power cord, and all the beer and ice
at the dock in order to save weight. Not that I think they are wrong, it’s
just that we have a different perspective than I do.

Maybe I should think about keeping a cooler full of ice and beer on deck, so
it can be moved to the high side of the boat to offset the extra weight of
halyards aloft. Now there’s an idea that should make the crew happy.

Rick Brass