Hi Chuck- My club usually has moorings for rent in the summer and it is a great place to sail from. There is almost always wind, club racing on Wednesday nights, regattas on weekends and more serious Off Soundings races over the summer.  It is a relatively inexpensive sailors club with a nice beach and dock and launch service. I am not sure what you would have to do to be there, but I can look into it if you are interested.  We are right near the end of New London harbor so it is easy to throw off the mooring lines and be on the sound in a matter of minutes.  New London is an interesting town with a very active arts and music scene.  We are considering retiring there when I get tired of administrators at UConn trying to screw up the school.  (http://www.thamesyachtclub.org)  Dave