Did you referance a tides and current book?  It will tell you the speed and
direction of the current which you can add or subtract as a vector to your
course and speed.  You have to compensate the tide and cutrent to your
specific location which adds even more difficulty.

I kinda feel like it is a bit of an exercise in frustration though.
Especially in a sailboat since any change in wind can have a significant
change in VMG or course speed.  Best use of the tide charts in my opinion
is to ensure you are timing your trip with the current instead of against.
It can make a huge difference.  In fact many areas can expierience currents
in excess of hull speed so despite your best efforts you will never make it
to your destination.

If tides and currents are strong in your area a rule of thumb is leave on
high tide, return on low.  1-2 hours early doesn't hurt.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk