I have sailed this area for the last 2 years. I know the sound very well. I
have crossed the sound 4 or 5 times in foul weather. I have no intention of
challenging the weather "YET". I only want to start the training offshore.
Straight out and back again.  maybe 5 or 6 times going a little further
each time. Getting confidence in the boat and in me and the gear. I will
let plenty of folks know i'm going and I will pick a good window. leaving
early 4:am or so in the am on an out going tide should put me back at the
dock by 3:pm gives me 2.5 hours of daylight.
I will take all safety precautions before I go. I'm thinking around march
if the weather is nice. I do have to haul the boat first and get 2 sea-cock
backing plates replaced and install my new transducer for the sonar. I got
the new Garmin Echo 50s for Christmas and need it to do bottom soundings. I
have an old Garmin 215 now that I will keep as a back up. I have an st4000
auto-helm and st50 speed, depth, wind, vmg that help alot whin I'm by my
self.

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 2:25 PM, Andrew Burton <a.burton.sai...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Overdress for the weather. And don't mess with the weather. If the
> forecast is iffy, don't go. It can be really snotty in that area. I never
> take chances there. I suggest you be part of a delivery crew a few times
> before going offshore by yourself.
> Andy
> C&C 40
> Peregrine
>

> On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Curtis <cpt.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It was 60 degrees here yesterday. and will be in the teens tonight. I
>> will pick a warmer window. I will not be cold. Will not much or I will not
>> go.I hate cold, However I do have a sense of ergency.
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Dave Godwin <dave.god...@me.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Curtis, are you planning on doing this in the near future? If so, are
>>> you prepared for some rather cold hours at sea?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Dave