So there I was, sailing a Swan 65 out of Bermuda, home to Newport for
repair one cool March day. The crew who got her to Bermuda had shredded the
main and ruined the engine, among other things, so we literally sailed out
the cut at St Georges under 110% jib, staysail, storm trysail and mizzen.
It was a rather arduous trip; each day brought at least 40 knot winds at
some point. On the afternoon of the second day, we were becalmed in the
north wall of the Gulf Stream, heading for England at 3 knots with the
current, just slatting in big leftover chop. Clouds moved in and lightning
started booming all around. BAM! BAM! All around us for a couple of hours.
And there was only one thing sticking up in the air in a hundred-mile
radius. I started to get a little nervous...well, I kind of lost it...and
started shaking my fist and yelling "f*** you" at the sky after every ZOT!
much to the amusement of my crew, who were watching and laughing from the
companionway.

Yelling at the sky proved be a less than well thought out plan, as it soon
started raining. But the wind came back with the rain, so all was not lost
and we started reaching along on starboard tack at 8.5 - 9 knots straight
toward home. As we got closer and the water got colder, the wind started
heading us and the rain turned to sleet. 30 hours later, at two AM we were
beating into 30 knots of wind on the final approach to Newport in wet,
blinding snow.

I saw a pair of lights on a fast boat going by; white over red; the pilot
boat. I called on channel 14 and the skipper came back, "This is the pilot
boat NE Pilot on channel 14; is that you, Andy?"
I answered in the affirmative and after some chat about our relative
intelligence, he said, "Do you see that 650-foot car carrier off your port
quarter"
"No."
"Well I think he thinks you're me and he's trying to go alongside you. You
might want to tack."

Back on deck we put the helm down and were once again dumped on by the
inches of snow shaken from the windward side of the jib.

Several tacks later, we were at the entrance to Newport Harbor as dawn was
breaking. The wind had eased, though the snow hadn't, and we were looking
forward to getting into warm beds at home. The plan was to pick up a
mooring and wait for the launch service to start, but we figured no one in
their right minds would be down to pick us up for hours (this was before
cell phones were ubiquitous), so we decided we could go alongside at the
Yachting Center.

Approaching at about half a knot to maintain steerage in the now light
airs, we had the lines all set to go. The aft spring would be most
important to secure to stop the boat from hitting the steel bulkhead a few
boat-lengths in front of us. One of the crew jumped down to the dock with
the spring and immediately landed flat on her back in 6" of snow. As she
was dragging along the dock at half a knot head first, still on her
back--Swan 65s carry their way very well--I said to her, "Anytime with that
spring, Joanie." She looked me in the eye and started swearing at me as she
shivered along.

Eventually we got tied up with no further ado and adjourned to the Handy
Lunch, where many eggs and gallons of coffee and tea were downed.

Andy
C&C 40
Peregrine

PS Joanie was next seen entering the Whitbread Race and sailing amongst the
icebergs in the Southern Ocean. She forgave me for the snowy trip.

--
Andrew Burton
61 W Narragansett Ave