 From: Will Harris <w...@waterlinesystems.com>
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Sent: Thursday, January 9, 2014 9:47 AM
Subject: Re: Stus-List Mast unstepping

RE: mast unstepping

I have a couple of thoughts on this:

1- Sling set up, spreaders - Don't pick the mast up by the spreaders.
This is one of those risk/benefit things.  You will almost never break
or bend a spreader base this way, but if you do, you will be very sad.
It adds less than a minute to rig a proper hold down line to carry the
load.

2- Pick point - Ideally, this is right at the balance point.  If you
don't know the exact spot and are going to be wrong, it is far better to
set the point too high than too low.  If you set it too low, it will be
top heavy and the mast will be really hard to control in the air.  If
you pick too high, the mast will stay vertical in the air.  When you set
it down, gravity will be your friend.  When I was spending a lot of time
on really big boats, we had custom made mast cradles with wheels.  We
would pick the rig up very high, with a very big crane.  We would lower
the butt on to its cradle which was free to roll as the mast came down.
With a 100 foot mast, control is desirable.  Control is desirable on a
40 foot rig too.

3 Spartite-  If your mast is spartite-ed, check around the mast collar
for set screws.  It's a good idea to run a screw or two through the
collar and into the spartite to keep it from popping out.  They are
pretty good about keeping the spartite from popping out if you don't
remove them before picking the mast!

4 While the mast is out - Take the opportunity to REALLY check the rig.
Take stuff apart, clean it completely and use polish on all the bits.
The idea is not to make stuff shiny ( although that's nice), it is to
find cracks.  Little cracks rarely stay little for long.  If you rarely
drop the rig, you rarely inspect it right. Don't miss the easy
opportunity to change out anything that looks even remotely suspicious.

Will Harris
USWatercraft
C&C Yachts
Waterline Systems