 From: Marek Dziedzic <dziedzi...@hotmail.com>
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Sent: Thursday, January 9, 2014 12:52 PM
Subject: Re: Stus-List Mast unstepping

Ron,

I would venture to say that if you use the
hold down line (tied to the gooseneck) you move your attachment point ever so
slightly down. When you tie the loop under the spreaders, your attachment point
is above spreaders (the loop is most likely longer than the circumference of
the
mast). When you tie it down to the gooseneck, you probably pull it down a bit.
usually the centre of gravity of the mast is around the spreaders, so moving it
even 10-20 cm up or down can throw the balance off.

If you use the tie down line (I do, I have a
double spreader mast), that line is there to make sure that the loop won’t move
up the mast and it should take the weight of the mast only when the mast is
vertical.

If properly tied, that tie down line, should
not make any difference to the overall balance of the mast.

If you find that the mast is unbalanced (top
heavy; any other minor imbalance is not such a big issue), you may consider
tying the loop above the spreaders (and holding it down with a tie down line to
the gooseneck).

I hope, I make sense

Marek

Message: