*From:*CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] *On Behalf Of *andrew rothweiler
*Sent:* Friday, January 10, 2014 7:29 PM
*To:* cnc-list@cnc-list.com
*Subject:* Stus-List Comparing boats for purchase

Hello All,

Requesting some advice about interpreting data/stats on 2 boats I'm considering for purchase. Having a boat that has the traveler and genoa winches easy to reach from behind the helm is a key factor for me so that control/single handing will be easier.

Also, I'm using PHRF numbers to help determine which boat might be more competitive in club races.

So the two boats are a C&C 35-2 and a CS 36T.

The stats I'm using are from the PHRF site and SailboataData.com: (don't know how this chart will come out on the forum)

LOA LWL B D SA DISP SA/DISP DISP/LWL FORE/MAIN SAIL AREAS

C&C 35-2 PHRF 123-139-126 35' 30.77 10.58 5.58 629sf 13,800 17.56 224.34 352.5/276.75

CS 36T PHRF 123-135-126 36.5 29.92 11.5 6.35 640sf 15,500 16.53 258.34 367.5/272.53

My main question is how can the CS36 have a nearly identical PHRF to the C&C when the CS 1) weighs almost 2,000lbs more and 2) doesn't compensate for the weight with a lot more sail area, the total sail areas being almost the same?

What other factors must be considered in understanding why a similar size boat with almost the same waterline and sail area but weighs a ton more has the same PHRF? What am I missing? Which of the two boats would do better in club races and around the marks?

Thanks in advance for your help in understanding this.