From: Rick Brass
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 9:29 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Reply To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List Prop Question

The folding prop will get you to hull speed and push you through chop if it is the proper pitch, which is all you can expect the 3 blade prop to do. Reverse, as you already know, can be a learning experience with the Martec. It will work fine at higher RPM, but tends to suck for backing up at low or moderate engine speeds unless you use proper technique. The three blade will back better at low to moderate speed.

I had a fixed prop on my 38 for a couple of years. I figured out that I lost ¼ to ½ knot of speed vs. the folding prop in all but heavy air sailing. I went back to a Martec folder.

There are other folding props that back up better than the Martec. A geared prop like a Gori or a Flex-o-fold should work more like a fixed prop in reverse. Or you could get a feathering prop, if you can part with that much coin, and you will get excellent sailing characteristics and also excellent performance in reverse.

I’m sure others on the list will kick in with their experience.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC