  From: Chuck S
  To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
  Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 11:41 PM
  Subject: Re: Stus-List Prop Question

  I bought a sailboat to sail.  If I wanted a powerboat, I'd buy a bass boat or
a ski boat or a fishing boat or a house boat.
  I choose what's best for sailing and bought a MaxProp in 2007.
  Personal choice is what it's all about.  The cost differences are very
different as is performance.   I changed from a Martec eliptic folding prop to
a two blade MaxProp and love it.  Roughly:
  A fixed 3 blade prop will cost $600; this is the slowest sailing prop but
best powering forward and reverse.
  2 blade Martec folding prop will cost $1500;  this is the fastest sailing
prop but least power w motoring against the wind and very little stopping power.
  2 blade feathering prop like a MaxProp will cost $2000; next fastest sailing
w great power motoring forward and reverse.  Maybe 95% of a fixed prop.
  3 blade feathering prop like a MaxProp will cost $3000; third fastest sailing
w greatest power motoring forward and reverse, same as fixed prop, best for
distance cruising.

  Chuck
  Resolute
  1990 C&C 34R