Older Garmin plotters used MapSource for updates to map data. When you bought
MapSource you got chart data to amplify the base map installed on the unit from
the factory.  You could do route planning, etc, on your PC and then transfer
data to the unit. My older 130, 160, 1nd 168 units on the two boats (plus the
hand held GPS) all used MapSource, and I think you could install the charts,
once unlocked, on 3 devices.

MapSource is no longer supported for older units like my 130, 160, 1nd 168. The
last charts available are circa 2008.

My new Garmin plotter sounders all came standard with Blue Chart chart data
installed for the US, Canada, and the Bahamas. There is an upgrade available
called Blue Chart G2 which does thing like routing for you (you put in draft
and mast height for your boat and it routes you around shoals on the chart and
away from overhead obstructions) and lets you display a 3-D sonar image looking
ahead of the boat. G2 charts are extra cost, but the regular Blue Chart
information is included – no more base maps to upgrade in order to have charts.

You get free updates for the chart information for one year.

Homeport is the software that works with the Blue Charts for route planning on
a PC, and also for putting Active Captain information into the plotter. Marek
is correct that you need to put the SD card into the plotter first, which puts
the plotter information on the SD card. But nothing has to be on the PC in my
experience. I just put the formatted SD card into the PC and went to the Garmin
website when I updated charts before going to the Chesapeake last summer. The
Garmin website put the new chart data and a software update for the plotter
onto the SD card. Then put the SD card into the slot on the plotter and it all
uploads automatically. I was impressed at how painless it was.

Rick Brass