I stand corrected.

So there are three categories:

1)       If you have the capability of a cellular connection, you also have a
GPS capability. Actual cellular connection is not required. Apple, and everyone
else, sells devices in this category.

2)       You can buy a Wi-Fi capable tablet with a GPS option, but not from
Apple.

3)       Wi-Fi only devices, without GPS from Apple and everyone else.

I was not aware of any devices in category 2. Wish I had been.

I actually prefer the $175 Sony tablet I have to the iPad I was given last
month. But it does not have cellular capability or a GPS, neither of which I
thought I would need when I bought it a year or so ago. Now I’m interested in
running Active Captain when cruising on the boat, and for that you need to have
 a GPS. So I received the iPad as a present to facilitate what I want to do.

Had I known about category 2 or had the foresight to think about navigation
apps that would be an alternative to the 2 GPS plotters and the laptop on the
boat, I would have bought a waterproof Samsung tablet with a GPS instead of the
Sony. Heck, the waterproof Samsung might just be less expensive than the Otter
Box for the iPad.

Rick Brass