The most important thing is to clean and lubricate often.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis C.
Sent: 24/01/2014 18:03
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List Winch grease, Harken or Lewmar?

I usually use the Harken on port winches and the Lewmar on starboard winches.
Or is it the other way around?

Seriously, they're both good.  I think it's more important to not over-apply
the grease than which grease you use.  More is not necessarily better when
greasing winches.  Excess grease may collect in pawl pockets or run out on the
deck.

I think I prefer the Lewmar simply because it's a lighter color.  In the Deep
South, I worry more about the grease getting hot in the sun and running out of
the winches.  Niether the Harken or Lewmar seems to do that.  But should it
run, I'd rather the lighter color on the gelcoat.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA