From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Robert
Abbott
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2014 7:04 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: [SPAM]Stus-List Mixing Elbow

Jake:

Yes, I did remove the mixing elbow and exhaust flange together from the
exhaust manifold......it was the only way to remove the mixing elbow....and
then it was challenge to separate the mixing elbow from the flange on a work
bench....but with patience and a little help of a pipe extension on the big
wrench, it separated.

My friend that helped had 'headless bolts' can I could hand screw into the
exhaust manifold to guide the combined exhaust flange and new mixing elbow
in place.  I put two in diagonally, put the other two diagonal permanent
bolts in, removed the two 'headless bolts' and put the next
two bolts in....tighten up....done.   It helped when you are working on
your side left handed.  Also put in a new gasket between the flange and
manifold.

There was no problem with the exhaust hose from the muffler back to the thru
hull...other than standing on my head working on the thru hull connection.

The problem was connecting the short 18" hose from the mixing elbow to the
muffler......because of the angle to the two and the stiffness of the
'marine grade hard walled exhaust hose' I chose, for a long time I could not
connect the hose over one of the two.....the angle and stiffness of the hose
and the fact I am not able to work with both hands adequately, made it a
frustrating job....I could get one on but not the
other.    After multiple attempts, I attached the hose to the mixing
elbow and inserted a big flat head screw driver into the hose, which gave me
the leverage to bend it enough to begin to place it over the muffler
intake....a few tries with the screw driver, success........ and it was now
beer time.

As with every first time job, if I were to do it again (which I hope I never
have to), I could do it with more know how and less frustration.

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - 84
Halifax, N.S.