Rob
      After seeing pictures of your hose installation I understand the problem
of removing that hose.  I think I would still use the threaded part of the
U-elbow and step it up to black pipe and direct it to the muffler. 1 1/2"  is
all you really need for exhaust on that engine. That being said,  you know that
old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it.......

                                                                       Gary