From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Chuck S
Sent: January 25, 2014 7:43 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List Winch Barient 28

Dwight,
The first winch may take you a while to gather all the necessary tools and
develop your technique.  The second one will go much quicker.
Truth be told, I haven't cleaned and lubed my 28s properly for at least 5
yrs.   They aren't self tailing and I only use them when racing w crew.
They didn't look too bad inside after such a long time.  It's been 2 seasons
since I lubed my 21ST halyard winches and my 27ST winches by the wheel.
I find it hard to get much of this maintenance stuff done in the Spring.
Too many distractions from other skippers and last minute projects before
launch.  In the Spring, I focus on the toerail to toerail maintenance and
anything above the toerail waits till after launch.

Tools you'll need:
The Barient tool to remove the drum retaining nut
Set of allen wrenches; 5/16, 1/4", 3/16"
Two large flat screw drivers to pry the one plate off
Solvent; diesel fuel or kerosene to clean the old grease off
Brushes; sash brush or parts brush, old tooth brush, acid brush
Rags for wiping
Bucket or two to hold solvent and soak parts
Cardboard boxes to set your grease and dirty stuff, protects the deck.
Winch grease for gears and bearings
Machine oil (3-in-1) for the pawls and springs.

Chuck
Resolute
1990 C&C 34R
Atlantic City, NJ