It would definitely weaken the stern rail both when open and when closed.
However, when closed it would only move a slight bit.
A lot would depend on whether your pulpit has a second rail.  Most C&C's
I've seen only have a single rail.

The easy way to add a gate is to cut the top rail and add a stanchion cap
with eye on each cut side.  Be sure to install a locking screw tapped into
the cap.  You could then make a lifeline gate with a toggle on one end and
pelican hook on the other to stretch between the eyes.  You could slide a
lifeline cushion on the gate to lean against while driving.  If you were
concerned about strength, add a stanchion brace on either side if practical.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA