One of the first things I added to my Mirage 24 was a extendable stern ladder - tied it to the stern rail with a line that would allow release from the water.
During my reading online I came across a couple of cases where people had died, having fallen off their boat at a mooring (or even at a dock with no ladder) -- unable to climb back into the boat due to no boarding ladder, cold and in soaked clothes.

For sure if the boat is under sail then the ladder is pretty meaningless - but just sitting still that's a tough climb!

Mark
  Dr. Mark Bodnar
B.Sc., D.C., FCCOPR(C)
Bedford Chiropractic

There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
  - George Santayana