> I never want to reef with the wind coming in over the stern...

The conditions I described below were such we did not want to turn into the
wind for any reason.  The seas were averaging 24' and the big ones were in the
40' range with breaking tops. (Not unusual in June/July south of the
Oregon/Calif border, north of San Francisco.  This area is often called the
"Squash Zone" owing to the Northwesterly winds being "squashed" between inshore
and offshore high pressure cells.)

This is the same area that more than a few new cruisers, often an older couple,
are airlifted off a perfectly good boat because they have become exhausted and
can no longer safely sail their boat.

The first time (1977) I experienced the "Squash Zone" was aboard a C&C 39 with
the typical mainsail plastic slugs in a track.  That mainsail would not reef
downwind at any time.  We spent a very exciting night over powered, unwilling
to head back upwind to reef.  IIRC that sail was tough to reef upwind,
especially when wet.  Sometimes it would take two crew to pull the sail down.

One of the things to watch closely when reefing downwind with full battens is
how they are located in relationship to the spreaders.  In boisterous
conditions with the wind aft the sail and battens will be pressed against the
spreaders and rigging.  On Calypso we will sheet in a little to pull the
battens off the spreaders.  Sheeting in does load the sail up a little but the
Harken Batt cars have so little friction that the extra load does not create
the need for more down force.

Martin
Calypso
1971 C&C 43