Hi Andrew,

The promise of freedom, the romantic idea that a person could set sail and
be totally reliant on themselves and go anywhere in the world. At 23 I rode
a 30hp motorcycle across the country to the west coast on my own with a
tent and a sleeping bag. I was hooked. I thought I was hooked on
motorcycles but after a few years doing laps on racetracks and avoiding the
police in the city I was burned out (I still dream of wheelies on the
regular though).Turns out I was more into traveling and relying on myself.
Sailing promised all of that and more. And like you said earlier on, there
is so much to learn I'm never going to run out of things to learn about.
Racing is cool and all and I wish I had gotten into sailing earlier in my
life but alas I did not. I think I'm a cruiser at heart, a romantic
dreamer, a wannabe Jack London. I loved traveling through the prairies on
my own. My friends all told me to fly, that it would be boring. It turns
out I liked the trip more than the destination.

And there's nothing more graceful and emotionally powerful than a yacht
under full sail. I studied fine art, I know a thing of beauty when I see it
lol! (that's the only useful thing I learned in my 4 years of bank
sponsored Art School, how to see).

Steve
Suhana, C&C 32
Toronto

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Andrew Burton <a.burton.sai...@gmail.com>wrote:

> So Steve, what was the impetus to sign up for sailing lessons at 30? With
> all this talk of "saving sailing," I think the answer to that question is
> an important one.
>
> Andy
> C&C 40
> Peregrine
>

> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Stevan Plavsa <stevanpla...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> You lost me at "I was born on a boat in New Zealand. I lived my first
>> five years at sea".
>>
>> Sorry, I can't relate to that, even a little.
>>
>> I lived my first five years in Serbia. Growing up an immigrant in Canada
>> to immigrant parents and all that entails. Sailing was something only the
>> privileged did. I never even considered it an option! I didn't even have
>> friends that sailed! I took a leap and signed myself up for sailing lessons
>> at the ripe old age of thirty... but there's hope for me yet, that's when
>> Derek Hatfield got started too :)
>>
>> I think some people grow up around sailing and more importantly,
>> *sailors*. Others don't. It takes the latter group quite a while to
>> catch up to the former. Money plays a big role too, with money anything's
>> possible, even a 13 year old sailing around the world. In other words, she
>> had all the right ingredients to make that happen, without money, none of
>> it would have. It can be a show stopper and that's a reality that many live
>> with.
>>

>> Steve
>> Suhana, C&C 32
>> Toronto
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Richard N. Bush <bushma...@aol.com>wrote:
>>
>>> All this talk about when to go; there's a striking clip of Laura Dekker
>>> in this month's sailing World, which is exactly on point; she make us guys
>>> look like pikers.....open the video and just listen to what she says, it
>>> worth the effort....
>>>

>>> http://www.sailingworld.com/blogs/news/best-sailing-movie-ever-take-two?cmpid=enews021114&spPodID=030&spMailingID=19541142&spJobID=260694143&spReportId=MjYwNjk0MTQzS0
>>>
>>>  Richard
>>> 1985 37 CB;
>>>
>>> Richard N. Bush Law Offices
>>> 2950 Breckenridge Lane, Suite 9
>>> Louisville, Kentucky 40220
>>> 502-584-7255

>>> lifestyle.  A lot of people hate it very quickly.  Can you take a sabbatical