I have a 16KBTU Cruisair on Touche'  No doubt in my mind you need a 16KBTU
if you're anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon line.

It can hold mid 70's inside up to about 90F outside.  Above that, it holds
high 70's.  That's with a head start.  That is, if it was on all night and
we got the boat temp down into the 60's prior to sun up.

If you're starting mid-afternoon with outside temps in the 90's, you'll
take a couple hours to break 80F inside.

Also Touche's forward hatch is fiberglass, the midships and companionway
hatches are white translucent.  Clear hatches will let a lot more heat in.

There's also the reliability factor.  I'd rather have a larger unit humming
merrily along than a smaller unit struggling and running more hours.

One of the more overlooked factors is the size and run of the cooling water
hose. Bigger is better.  It WILL make a difference.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA